db-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Object Databases..
Date Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:17:08 GMT
Hi Martin,

None of the object databases that I know of are open source AL or
BSD. Most are GPL (not even LGPL). But there are some key/value
persistent stores that might be of interest.

I guess it depends on what you think an object database is, and what
you want to use it for. Is there a fixed schema? Search capability?
Relationships among stored instances?

I'm happy to think about the topic while doing chores, but don't have
much spare cycles to actually do much more than talk. And while
thinking about it is half the work, implementing it is another 90%
and testing it is the third 90%. ;-)

Craig

On Jun 30, 2007, at 5:31 AM, Martin van den Bemt wrote:

> No time available/ lack of time is not a problem. That's only
> needed for coding and the website,
> online discussions.. Thinking about the problem space and possible
> approaches/solutions is something
> that can easily do while cleaning the toilet :) Thinking about it
> is half the work :)
>
> Mvgr,
> Martin
>
> Henning Schmiedehausen wrote:
>> There are a number of (L)GPLed ones, but you seem to be right,
>> there is
>> none that is ASL or ASLish licensed.
>>
>> Interest: Sure. Time is another beast, though... :-)
>>
>> 	Best regards
>> 		Henning
>>

>> On Fri, 2007-06-29 at 14:02 +0200, Martin van den Bemt wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>>
>>> I have been thinking about object databases lately and cannot
>>> seem to find an AL licensed object
>>> database (maybe I didn't look good enough though). So I had an
>>> idea of getting one of the ground at
>>> Apache. Even though this isn't much of a plan I would like to
>>> know if there is possibly any interest
>>> in working on this ?
>>>
>>> Mvgr,
>>> Martin