db-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: pmc?
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 20:57:11 GMT
On Feb 20, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Brian McCallister wrote:
> So, I'm very happy to help mentor (the Official Incubator Role and
> the actual verb, as it relates to working within Apache) Cayenne,
> and would love to see this work out! I just am trying to go with
> the TLP preference vibe going around, and that Cayenne has been
> around a while I don't want to cramp their style.

Brian,

thank you for your support! Actually TLP would be our choice as well,
and exactly for the reason that you mentioned. As Bill said we are
not well-connected with ASF, so we started looking for support in the
communities where we see synergies. And I am glad that we found it :-)

So how do we proceed now? Should we take the discussion on one of the
incubator lists?

> It may be worth pinging the Tapestry folks as well as I have seen a
> lot of Cayenne use within the Tapestry community, and they are an
> energetic bunch.

Good idea. Just sent a message to tapestry-dev:

http://www.mail-archive.com/tapestry-dev@jakarta.apache.org/
msg04867.html

On Feb 20, 2006, at 5:33 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Why do they want to come to Apache?

Answering Geir's question... I elaborated a bit on that in the
message to tapestry-dev above. Let me expand.

Cayenne has a five year history of providing strong and unique
persistence framework. During this time we've built a vibrant
grassroots community with zero corporate sponsorship. And while
things look good for Cayenne now and can stay the way they are for
any foreseeable future, we are always looking for ways to expand the
community and to bring our ideas to a wider audience.

So why Apache? It just seems natural. Back in the day when we set up
ObjectStyle.org, we looked at Apache as an example of how an open
source collaborative environment should work. And we succeeded in
building one, on a smaller scale. Now making Cayenne an ASF project
is a logical next step. And note that we are taking our current
community with us, not just throwing the code over the wall.

Also we are willing to collaborate with other projects if there is a
natural synergy. For instance we recently announced that Cayenne will
be implementing JPA (ORM part of JSR-220). So we are closely watching
the related activities in Geronimo. I already contributed a number of
JPA-related things to Open EJB and at the end the plan is to
contribute Cayenne JPA provider to Geronimo. I am sure other
synergies will become more obvious once we are in.

Andrus

Andrei (aka Andrus) Adamchik
Cayenne Persistence Framework
Lead Architect