db-general mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: pmc?
Date Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:48:28 GMT
On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 15:57 -0500, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> On Feb 20, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Brian McCallister wrote:
> > So, I'm very happy to help mentor (the Official Incubator Role and
> > the actual verb, as it relates to working within Apache) Cayenne,
> > and would love to see this work out! I just am trying to go with
> > the TLP preference vibe going around, and that Cayenne has been
> > around a while I don't want to cramp their style

+1

> thank you for your support! Actually TLP would be our choice as well,
> and exactly for the reason that you mentioned. As Bill said we are
> not well-connected with ASF, so we started looking for support in the
> communities where we see synergies. And I am glad that we found it :-)

might still be a good idea to be sponsored by the db project but with
the aim to graduate as a TLP (rather than a sub-project).

> So how do we proceed now? Should we take the discussion on one of the
> incubator lists?

things sometimes get a little heated over on the incubator general list
and some of the process is still being talked out so it might be best to
do a little preparation first. IMHO subscribing first and posting later
(after acclimatization) is probably a good idea.

a proposal describing cayenne and it's aims is needed and is probably
best written up first. might seem like a paper exercise but this is
actually a good chance for the community to take a chance to step back
and think about where the project's going and what it's long term aims
are. there's likely to be a measure of criticism once the proposal is
posted but this should be taken positively - it's aim is to improve the
proposal.

it's also worth reading what information is available on the apache
(http://www.apache.org) and incubator (http://incubator.apache.org)
sites. some of legal formalities required by the ASF might need to a
little discussion amongst the cayenne community.

but don't be afraid of asking any questions on the incubator list: the
folks on the list will be able to give better answers than me...

- robert