db-general mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Evaluating the 'Open Sourcing' of Daffodil DB
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:59:17 GMT
As Rodney has said each proposal will be considered on its own merits;
but the fact that two Java DB projects already exist within the
incubator is going to affect the process and I think reduce the chances
of success.  It would definitely help if there were ASF members or
committers that were campaigning for the project.

A big concern always is the employment status of the core developers.
It is necessary to get some developers from more than one company.  That
can be done during incubation, but it is helpful if it can be shown
during the application.

One of my concerns is:

Is this a product that makes up the significant fraction of the revenue
of the sponsoring organization?  I don't really expect that you would
share that kind of information, but it will be at the back of my mind
when evualating your application.

It is hard for a open source project to succeed, if most the developers
are meeting face to face and especially if they have outside interests
(not part of the oss community) making strategic decisions that affect
the ability of the project to evolve.  This could happen with Derby, but
it is my experience that the possibility is even higher when a small
company is dependent on the project for survival.

John McNally

Uday Parmar wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> We have a Java RDBMS (Daffodil DB) that is a fully functional and
> feature-rich small/compact database. The evaluation version of
> Daffodil DB has been downloaded by over 2500 developers and we also
> have a substantial user base.
> We are now evaluating the benefits of making Daffodil DB Open Source
> on the Apache Software Foundation. Our alumni list of over 400
> developers and a conscious desire to better the product will ensure
> participation in the project if it is duly selected.
> However, the issue that come into my mind is that ASF already has a
> similar project running under the Derby banner. We understand that ASF
> is not averse to adopting projects in which there is some
> functionality overlap with an existing project. However, I still
> wanted to understand members thoughts on how Derby would affect our
> chances of being selected by ASF.
> Members can have a look at www.daffodildb.com
> <http://www.daffodildb.com> to learn about Daffodil DB or click
> http://daffodildb.com:8080/eval/filldetails.jsp to download a free
> 90-day evaluation version. I hope to hear from (some of) you soon.
> Warm Regards,
> Uday Parmar

View raw message