db-general mailing list archives

From Robert McIntosh <robert.mcint...@zurichna.com>
Subject Re: Hello...
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:05:22 GMT
Thanks gentlemen for the info. I looked into incubator, but that route
requires a nomination by an existing ASF member of which I am not (which
also requires a nomination) nor do I know any personally. It seems like I
am a bit out of luck.

On a related topic, I read somewhere, some time ago, a list of guidelines
for someone to be nominated as a commiter on a project. I'm guessing this
is the first step in going towards being an ASF member? I've made some
contributions to Jelly, some of which were submitted and some I offered
but no one seemed interested, and a small patch to Jexl a while back. I
realize that is small compared to others, but is that the right direction
to go?

Again, thanks for the info!

Robert McIntosh

Geir Magnusson Jr <geir@4quarters.com>
06/08/2004 04:46 PM
Please respond to
general@db.apache.org

general@db.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: Hello...

On Jun 8, 2004, at 4:42 PM, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Robert McIntosh wrote:
>
>> I subscribed a couple of weeks ago and have yet to see a message, so I
>> thought I would make sure I'm getting them!
>>
>> On another note, I am working on a persistence engine that I would
>> love
>> for apache to host, but at the moment I do not have the required 3
>> commiters. However if anyone would like to join the love, here is
>> some of
>> the documentation I have been working on lately. It isn't complete
>> and a
>> tad bit scattered, but the rationale is there as well as some of the
>> configuration stuff so anyone should be able to get a good idea of
>> what is
>> going on.
>>
>> http://www.bull-enterprises.com/aom
>>
>> In a nutshell, it is not just an O/R mapper, but a generic persistence
>> engine that can be used as an O/R mapping tool. It's current state of
>> development is that it is in one production application already, but
>> I am
>> going through a bit of a refactor to the mapping stuff (it is amazing
>> what
>> a real application will bring to light!), and working on more unit
>> tests
>> as I progress in that area.
>>
>> It currently uses several Commons projects such as JXPath, Jexl,
>> BeanUtils, etc. some of which is documented on the site I listed. If
>> anyone is interested let me know, otherwise I'll have to resort to
>> sourceforge :-\
>>

> Speaking for myself only, I'm not sure db.apache.org is in a good
> position to incubate projects composed largely or exclusivly of
> non-apache folks right now.  You might want to consider
> <http://incubator.apache.org/> or <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons>
> as a better starting point (perhaps eventually moving to a part of the
> db.apache project).  You could also do worse than starting out at
> sourceforge and migrating to apache once you've got a stronger
> community.

Rodney is right - new projects coming into the ASF will come through
the incubator, whether or not they are going to be part of another
Apache project (like DB) or an Apache project by themselves (like DB :)

Go to incubator

geir@4quarters.com

This message, along with any attachments, may be confidential or legally
privileged.  It is intended only for the named person(s), who is/are the
only authorized recipients. If this message has reached you in error,
please notify the sender immediately and promptly destroy it without
review. Dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited. Thank you for your help.