db-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: [sql] move from commons sandbox to db or db-commons?
Date Sun, 21 Dec 2003 02:57:57 GMT

On Dec 20, 2003, at 11:11 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>
>> On Dec 20, 2003, at 1:53 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
>>
>>> 2) Is there anything you need to do to get a vote to leave Jakarta
>>> Commons
>>> Sandbox? I'm not sure we can just view it as being in incubation and
>>> now
>>> having an exit strategy towards Db Commons.
>>
>> I would think that the important thing is the code - if the people
>> working on it in sandbox want to pick up and move over there, they
>> can.
>
> So a sandbox component can move easily to a new place, but a released
> component has to go through a longer process?

I think so.  Because the commons community has voted to accept and
support the component, where anything in sandbox is effectively just
the playthings of one or more developers.

> As I'm not a committer on sql or a user, I've no problem with [sql]
> leaving, but want to make sure Matt isn't going to walk into some
> crisis
> or other when [sql] leaves without a vote.

Agreed.  Matt can of course leave the code in sandbox and bring a copy
to db, and abandon the code in sandbox.

I think the proper thing is to simply send a note to commons.  I'll bet
you get no pushback.

geir

geir@4quarters.com