db-general mailing list archives

From Brian McCallister <mccallis...@forthillcompany.com>
Subject Re: mess Was: [sql] move from commons sandbox to db or db-commons?
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:15:35 GMT
On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 13:43, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Out of interest, what part of the mess do you find to be a mess?

1) Jakarta-Commons is *HUGE* and the bureaucracy around it is as huge
2) The mailing lists are so high volume that I have trouble following
individual projects, much less trying support users of a project
3) The project already exists, has had a release, and is in use
4) Until recently I couldn't get added to jakarta-commons-sandbox as I
was a DB committer but not a Jakarta committer (oddly enough I got
commit in Jakarta to work on a sandbox project started by someone else,
go figure)
5) Jakarta shouldn't be a dumping ground for projects without a logical
home. "Server Side Java" is a bit large a mission statement ;-)

3 is probably the biggest point. The jk-c-sandbox concept is broken here
as OS projects thrive on "release small, releases often" but the sandbox
says "you can graduate when you release (or vice versa)" This creates a
situation where a project doesn't get used because it has never had a
release, as it doesn't get used it cannot attract any additional
contributions or feedback from users, etc.

FWIW - I think that Apache is not a good place to start a small project,
but I think it is a good place to move a project that already exists and
is not yet mature.

-Brian