db-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: general inquiry
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:13:10 GMT

On Tuesday, October 14, 2003, at 11:54  AM, jini us wrote:
> Do you have any statistics on the number of
> transactions per second with Cayenne ?

I don't think this would be meaningful statistics for an ORM framework,
since one of the goals is to minimize database access whenever possible
(via caching, lazy relationships retrieval, etc.). So more transactions
doesn't mean better performance :-). I would actually benchmark an
application similar to what you are going to write, e.g a multiuser
webapp with specific usage patterns.

Having said that, here is a real life example - the nhl.com site that I
mentioned earlier. This is  by no means a formal benchmark, and
therefore the numbers are vague. During the playoffs it sustains a load
of millions hits a day from hockey fans. Applications are
Cayenne/Tapestry (we played with Struts at some point, but opted for
component oriented design provided by Tapestry), deployed on SunOne
appserver on Sun hardware (sorry, can't give away hardware specs). The
ratio of read to write operations is probably 100:1 (BTW, read
operations are often bottlenecks in ORM due to massive object
creation). Never had any performance problems.

Andrus