db-general mailing list archives

From Robb Penoyer <rpeno...@timgia.com>
Subject [Apache Incubator Directory Proposal] From the incubator list
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2003 19:29:02 GMT

Forgive the cutting and pasting of the mail notes below - but that is the
background. I really wanted to respond to Brian, and since Alex mentioned
my name.

LDAPd is a java implementation of and v3 compliant LDAP server, and
hopefulyl will soon enter the Apache Incubator as the/part of the Apache
Directory candidate.

In the classical sense, LDAP really isn't a database, but it needs one to
work - like everything else in the world. the primary difference is
transactions, it doesn't have any, nor do the standard require them. To
make LDAP work efficiently, a high performance on read operations becomes
the focus.

LDAP and databases (relation, oo or other) do have several factors in common,
    - client and server side providers
    - system organizational areas, system tablespaces, system backends,
schema management, security, authentication...

Where LDAP has a edge is in the somewhat static "lookup" space. Being
optimized for read operations, handling id to value management falls into
it's sweet spot. A well designed relational DB is much more suited for the
transactional type data.

Can LDAP and transactional database technology leverage each other -
absolutely. The architectural overlap is fairly astounding, and has bee the
topic of many discussions in the LDAPd community. Consider a highly tuned
LDAP server responsible for database schema administration (normally static
information).

Advantages: LDAP protocol requires replication and the ability forward
requests, which are not available locally, to a location which can serve
them. So the ability to manage distributed databases becomes a natural
component. With more thought put in place, there really is no reason that
with LDAP serving as the system engine for a database, you couldn't have
storage managers optimized for object persistence (oodb), transaction data
(rdbms), and hierachical information (hierarchical db) all acting as one
database system.

I could go on for a very long time .....