db-general mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [ann] db-commons open for business
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2003 08:47:03 GMT

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, James Strachan wrote:

> From: "Jason van Zyl" <jason@zenplex.com>
> > On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 21:18, Rodney Waldhoff wrote:
> > > Cool, I was just getting ready to ask about that.
> > >
> > > My hope is to set up the db-commons components under this same scheme,
> so
> > > that the site-generation will propogate all the way down.
> >
> > Sure, not a problem. I'll take a crack at making the db.apache.org a
> > little reusalble toolkit and put it in a plugin. Then you can use it
> > from there and maybe it can be used for the jakarta-commons site as
> > well.
>
> +1000. Many jakarta commons projects badly need a cron update of their
> websites.

Just a word of warning. A cron update of a site is often the HEAD-docs,
while the site itself wants to be the current release documentation. Maven
[no offense intended jason] had this problem early on, and other projects
definitely have it. So the cron can be damaging in that it so utterly
improves the deployment feedback loop, that it highlights what is usually
a hidden-ish problem, that a site has multiple sites inside it.

Then there's the pain of how to handle a branch, when I release 1.0.1 of
something, it is usually from the 1.0 branch and not from the HEAD. The
Jakarta-Taglibs has this pain. I have to deploy the site from HEAD, but
all the changes went into the branch, so my HEAD documentation currently
lies about what's in HEAD as it refers to the branch.

I hope my language there isn't too confused :)

Apologies for having problems and not solutions,

Hen