db-general mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: [RFC] Draft DB Commons Proposal
Date Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:56:49 GMT
Can there be any objective criteria to determine whether a project is
more appropriate as a subproject of db instead of a subproject of
db-commons? If jakarta-commons-dbcp proposes itself as a db-commons
component and is approved.  Then later poolman proposes itself as a
subproject of db, would it be appropriate to -1 based on the fact that
db-commons has declared connection pools as appropriate to its scope and
so poolman should submit itself as a component in db-commons?

My experience with jakarta-commons is mostly positive, but the lack of
scope has troubled me.  The size of the codebase would seem to be an
indicator of the amount of developer resources it will consume and the
amount of mailing list traffic it will generate (at least dev, maybe not
user).  I think some jakarta-commons components should be full
subprojects of jakarta.

Could we have the sandbox concept as a separate entity from db-commons?
Once a project that started in the sandbox is ready for release, it
could either propose itself to either the db pmc or directly to the
commons committers.  It would make the decision on where to end up more
a function of the state of the code/community when a release is
upcoming.  The default path in jakarta is from sandbox to commons proper
and since that is the easiest path, I think it is often chosen for
convenience.

john mcnally