db-general mailing list archives

From "Rodney Waldhoff" <rw...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 18:06:48 GMT
Geir wrote:

>"Ignacio J. Ortega" <nacho@siapi.es> wrote:
>>Another nice addition to the starter set in the db could be
>>commons-dbcp..
>I agree, but when I suggested bringing poolman in to Jakarta, there was
>strong opposition from the dbcp people...

I'm probably one of those "dbcp people" you refer to.  I don't recall
offering "strong opposition".

I do see this note from John (a commons-sandbox/Jdbc2Pool "person", i
suppose):

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org&msgId=75929

which raises some good points.

>Maybe they've changed their minds?

I've consistently maintained that my database pool concerns are:

1. That it provide a mechanism for "pluggable" pooling algorithms (ideally
based upon a generic pooling mechanism)

2. That is support PreparedStatement pooling

Other than that, I don't much care what the implmentation is, where it comes
from, or who wrote it.  As yet DBCP seems to be the only pool that meets
these criteria, and hence that's the tool I use and support.

On a related note, I notice that in the above mentioned message, John wrote:

>The code in sandbox/jdbc2pool uses the commons pool and DBCP's
>PreparedStatement pool while attempting to implement the jdbc2
>specification.  Geir and anyone else at jakarta who wants to work on a
>connection pool, why not join me in finishing this?

I guess I didn't catch that before.  John, how far apart are jdbc2pool and
dbcp in this?  Does jdbc2pool support statement pooling?  Does jdbc2pool
support JDBC3? What would have to change in dbcp to fully support JDBC2/3?

I'd much rather have a smaller number of robust pools than a large number of
pools each scratching and individual itch.  Let's scrap all of dbcp,
jdbc2pool and poolman and start over if that's what it takes to overcome NIH
issues.  I suspect none of these are that far apart.

- Rod