db-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 18:32:22 GMT
On 5/9/02 2:19 PM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:

>>> db.apache.org/drivers/jdbc/MyProject
>>> db.apache.org/dbms/PostgreSQL
>>> db.apache.org/orm/MyORMappingTool
>>>
>>> But maybe I'm just tired.
>>>

>> You make it look like a package structure.
>>

> Kinda.  DB would of course have a PMC (I vote Geir!)

We will have to have a PMC  - I was going to suggest myself, a rep from
every one of the first projects, and Peter Donald - he's been around and
understands some of the rough waters.

That said, I would suggest that PMC only be in place for some period, like 6
months, and then be disbanded upon a new PMC being elected by the "db"
community.

The 'ruling 6-month junta' for would hopefully be heavy with apache people
to help get this aligned with other apache communities, with representation
of course from all projects irrespective of their pre-"db" status.

> and there would be
> sub-projects 'drivers' 'dbms' etc that would develop software-packages.
> "PostgreSQL", etc.
>
> The trial by incident for a new Sub Project would be painful like on
> jakarta. :-)  The trial for sub-subprojects (jdbc/) would be up to the
> committers of the subproject.  The trial for packages would also be up
> the the committers of the subproject.

Hm.  Interesting

> This would avoid a sourceforge as +1ing would be "yes I agree to work on
> this sucker" for committers.

I am not sure that this works necessarily.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.