db-general mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 14:51:13 GMT
On 5/9/02 9:42 AM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:

> James Taylor wrote:
>
>> DataVision is my favorite among the java open source db reporting
>> options. Though it is certainly missing some features it is further
>> along than anything else _I_ have seen. Might be another nice project to
>> put under this new umbrella (if you and any other authors are interested
>> in participating in an apache community of course).
>>
>> -- jt
>>

> That does look way cool.  Its ASL'd and I think extending the invitation
> would be good, but we should probably think about the db project's
> scope.  I would suggest that in addition to a dbcommons we have a
> dbtools subproject.

I don't think we need two - we can call the 'commons' 'tools', which I like
better anyway, but not sure two are really needed - the scope of
commons/tools would be analogous, namely 'smaller' bits.

> The scope of db/root level projects would be
> general apis and server-side stuff and the scope of the dbtools
> subproject of the db project would be various db tools.

There is no "server-side" constraint, right?  I think an open source TOAD
would be awesome and that's not "server-side".

>I mean there
> are like hundreds of little TOAD like tools and query guis and etc.  It
> seems appropriate for them to be subgrouped for the purpose of
> orthagonallity

But we have to be careful - we don't want this to be 'db sourceforge'.  I
think we need to keep a very high standard for entry.  We can't accumulate
drek.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.