db-general mailing list archives

From "Waldhoff, Rodney" <rwald...@us.britannica.com>
Subject RE: scope? purpose? rationale?
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 16:58:38 GMT
> > Shouldn't a BTree implement SortedMap?

> Why should it?

I don't wanna pick nits, since this is a small, slightly off-topic point,
but here's why:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/api/java/util/SortedMap.html

> I think JISP and other database backend support (whether
> it be for LDAP, relational, OO, xML or whatever) is
> kinda out of scope for a collections library.

A BTree is pretty clearly a SortedMap (like TreeMap, a red-black tree
implementation) that happens to optimized for disk I/O, and as someone who
has been using JISP recently, I can tell you it would be a lot clearer,
cleaner and easier to use if it implemented SortedMap.  Why shouldn't I be
able to use a red-black tree and a b-tree interchangeably?