db-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 18:19:38 GMT

>>db.apache.org/drivers/jdbc/MyProject
>>db.apache.org/dbms/PostgreSQL
>>db.apache.org/orm/MyORMappingTool
>>
>>But maybe I'm just tired.
>>

>You make it look like a package structure.

Kinda.  DB would of course have a PMC (I vote Geir!) and there would be
sub-projects 'drivers' 'dbms' etc that would develop software-packages.
 "PostgreSQL", etc.

The trial by incident for a new Sub Project would be painful like on
jakarta. :-)  The trial for sub-subprojects (jdbc/) would be up to the
committers of the subproject.  The trial for packages would also be up
the the committers of the subproject.

This would avoid a sourceforge as +1ing would be "yes I agree to work on
this sucker" for committers.  This would not preclude a top level
"package" such as say ApacheDB or something (like httpd is to apache.org
for historical reasons), but it would need to be massive in scope or
community (httpd).

>>Its kinda hard to find things on Jakarta.  Could be even worse with a
>>more widely scoped project.
>>

>It's actually more closely scoped - Jakarta is anything that is server-side
>Java.  With "db", the point is to focus on a specific problem area, data
>access, persistence and such, and bring tools together related to that with
>a community of people experienced and interested in that area.

<sarcasm>
Way back a long time ago I made a program in VB that represented query
results in trees and the such.  It was designed primarily as a control
for Microsoft Access.  I can't WAIT to donate it ;-)
</sarcasm>

I would venture to say there are more "database related" software
packages than "written-in-java" software packages.  Scope is good.

-Andy