db-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 14:47:39 GMT
Jim Menard wrote:

>Geir Magnusson Jr. writes:
>

>>Hey Jim!  I was thinking about you and this.  Glad you are lurking around.
>>Do you have any stuff in Ruby?  We want to cement the multi-language idea...
>>:)
>>

>Actually, there is an early version of DataVision written completely in
>Ruby. There is no report design GUI; that's the main reason I switched to
>Java. The Ruby version is still in production at 3Path (www.3Path.com); it
>generates pretty PDF nightly reports that go out to all channel publishers
>and the system admins.

I've got to take a look at this thing.  I think I'd like to add POI
capabilities to it for one.  (Reports in Excel and Word format)

>>To all : I met Jim through one of my professional projects.  You'll learn
>>he's a smart guy despite the fact he still uses a Newton.  I'm really
>>serious - we were at a meeting and he pulled it out to take notes.
>>

>I've scraped up the cash to buy a new Pilot--my third. I'll try not to
>crack the screen on this one.

I've had my Vx for about 2 years now.  Not a scrape.  I've stepped on it
and dropped it of course several times.  I think the Vx is the only one
with a hard case and harder plastic screen.

>>Jim : the Smithsonian called - they want it back...
>>

>That hurts! If you were closer, I'd hit you with my walker.
>

>>>I just joined this group and have been lurking for a few days, trying to
>>>figure out what the group is about. I'm the author of DataVision
>>>(http://datavision.sourceforge.net), an Open Source project released under
>>>the Apache license.
>>>

>>This is exactly the kind of thing we had in mind for commons - small, to the
>>point, and usable within some of the larger projects as dependencies.  I'll
>>put it on 'the list' if you are interested.  I suspect that there is some
>>interest since you mentioned it.

I'm interested.  This is basically what I'm doing with Cocoon, only no
designer.  It'd be cool to have some kind of client-server based deal
where I could deliver the reports to the server via a pretty designer
with criteria and the works passed in via the sitemap in a webapp...
 But maybe I'm just tired...

-Andy