db-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 13:42:55 GMT
James Taylor wrote:

>DataVision is my favorite among the java open source db reporting
>options. Though it is certainly missing some features it is further
>along than anything else _I_ have seen. Might be another nice project to
>put under this new umbrella (if you and any other authors are interested
>in participating in an apache community of course).
>
>-- jt

That does look way cool.  Its ASL'd and I think extending the invitation
would be good, but we should probably think about the db project's
scope.  I would suggest that in addition to a dbcommons we have a
dbtools subproject.  The scope of db/root level projects would be
general apis and server-side stuff and the scope of the dbtools
subproject of the db project would be various db tools.  I mean there
are like hundreds of little TOAD like tools and query guis and etc.  It
seems appropriate for them to be subgrouped for the purpose of
orthagonallity

-andy