db-general mailing list archives

From "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoli...@apache.org>
Subject Re: test
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 16:40:57 GMT
Paul Hammant wrote:

> Andrew
>
>> Hahaha.  Everything has its cost.  There is a performance cost to C
>> over ASM but who wants to write ASM?
>

> You're spready FUD dude if you are saying there is a performance cost
> to C... ;-)
>
> -ph

And ASM has a performance cost in general (since most ASMs aren't 1-1
exactly for many operations) over just sitting down and coding directly
to the binary.

Furthermore that HAS a performance cost if you run it on an operating
system than just embedding everything into the circutry directly and
skipping all that software...

But the idea is... how low do you want to go.  Thats the bar.   I think
C is good enough for just about all operating systems and writing Java
compilers...well it should be good enough for writing a OODB ;-)

-Andy