db-general mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: test
Date Tue, 07 May 2002 13:26:35 GMT
Andrew,

> But through collaboration among them in a larger community they could
> be better.  furthermore the protential for widespread acceptance of an
> Apache db especially if it were named "db" are profound, not that it
> should be a goal but the means to an ends.  Such acceptance would draw
> a pretty large community.  But again, I feel it should be an OODB
> which is an area sorely in need of development.  It should be a
> grandeous undertaking, better if one exists, but if not...*shrug* --
> Everyone and his brother makes a RDBMS

A few of us had started a RDBMS as part of the Avalon-apps project.  It
is suspended for the mo while we concentrate on sexier things (EOB and
others) but we will come back to it.  What it offered that some others
did not :

1) Full interface / impl separated design for Table Row etc.
2) Avalon-Phoenix using in that blocks (components)
3) JDBC compatible with JDK 1.3 & 1.4
4) Multiple implementations of all blocks  - e.g. ->
  - non persisting store & file system persisting store
  - Where-clause processors using Rhino or BCEL for real strongly typed
rows and queries.
5) SQL support plus (insane as it seems) LXSQL (an xmlized form of SQL
for parsing without yacc)
6) Multiple transports between client and server (one using AltRMI),
SOAP transport would be easy (Glue).

It is not an OODBMS though.  It is called AvalonDB not ApacheDB as it is
not sancioned as a sub-project officially.

Regards,

- Paul H