db-general mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Fri, 10 May 2002 00:58:08 GMT
On Fri, 10 May 2002 04:39, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > I'd much rather have a smaller number of robust pools than a large number
> > of pools each scratching and individual itch.  Let's scrap all of dbcp,
> > jdbc2pool and poolman and start over if that's what it takes to overcome
> > NIH issues.  I suspect none of these are that far apart.
>
> You don't get it - Poolman has a huge user base.  Many companies (all I
> regularly consult for, and they were using it before I showed up), the DOD,
> etc, etc, etc.  If the mood is to just discard to start fresh with
> untested, unused code, that's fine - Poolman can stay where it is.  History
> has repeatedly shown the value and importance of mindshare and momentum.
> Don't discard that for technical superiority, as that can be added over
> time.

I basically agree. PoolMan has market presence, and is trusted by large
numbers of people. Diluting this value should not be an option. If there is
parts that suck then we can enhance them as long as it is done by adding new
classes or changing old classes in backwards compatible manners.

If thats not possible you can always start a revolution.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald