db-general mailing list archives

From Jim Menard <j...@io.com>
Subject Re: Hello
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 13:02:45 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. writes:
> On 5/9/02 6:02 AM, "Andrew C. Oliver" <acoliver@apache.org> wrote:
> > Yes.  The traffic comes and goes.  Lets start putting together a
> > proposal.  Anyone here with previous top level project experience?
> >
> Hang on, it's coming.

Hi, Geir! (We met a few months ago in Westport about your work in

I just joined this group and have been lurking for a few days, trying to
figure out what the group is about. I'm the author of DataVision
(http://datavision.sourceforge.net), an Open Source project released under
the Apache license.

Here's the standard DataVision blurb:

    "DataVision is a database reporting tool similar to Crystal Reports.
    Reports can be viewed and printed from the application or output as
    HTML, LaTeX2e, XML, DocBook, or tab- or comma-separated text files.
    From the LaTeX2e and DocBook output files you can in turn produce PDF,
    text, HTML, PostScript, and more.

    "Report descriptions are stored as XML files. This means you can not
    only use the DataVision GUI, but you may also edit reports using your
    favorite text editor.

    "DataVision is written in Java. It runs under Linux, Windows, various
    flavors of BSD and Unix, and Mac OS X. It can generate reports from
    Oracle, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Informix, hsqldb, Microsoft Access, and any
    other database with available JDBC drivers."

Jim Menard, jimm@io.com, http://www.io.com/~jimm/
"Indeed, an upsettingly large part of academia right now seems to be
working on bringing Java into the 1980s... sigh." -- Avi Bryant

View raw message