db-general mailing list archives

From John McNally <jmcna...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Status
Date Thu, 09 May 2002 16:10:09 GMT
On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 05:33, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> 2) Poolman - popular database connection pooling package, currently at

I would like to move Jdbc2Pool, currently in the commons/sandbox, here
as well, with or without DBCP.  Jdbc2Pool includes a simple pool that
was pulled from Torque into a freestanding DataSource implementation.
It also contains a more full featured DataSource based on commons-pool
similar to db pools found in DBCP.  It also contains an adapter to jdbc1
Drivers that uses the PreparedStatement pooling found in DBCP.

The main difference between Jdbc2Pool and DBCP or Poolman is that
Jdbc2Pool, as its name implies, attempts to fully comply with the
specification.  DBCP and Poolman can both present DataSource frontends
to the applications that use them (at least I think Poolman has that.)
However their internal organization and how they interact with the jdbc
driver implementation is based on jdbc1.

I think a connection pool based on the latest (jdbc3 is not that
different from jdbc2 wrt to pooling connections) is a good thing to
continue to develop even if Poolman is created as a top level subproject
of db.apache.org.  I guess I don't see why a simple thing like a
connection pool should exist as a top level project.  It only needs to
be a handful of classes.  I think a better location is db/commons or
db/tools.

john mcnally