db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: When to shut down a database
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 15:51:37 GMT
On 4/8/14 2:00 AM, Chux wrote:
> Hey Dag,
>
> Thanks for your insight.
>
> I'm using this as an embedded DB in a Java FX desktop application.
> This is a dumb question but would you recommend shutting down the
> database ever after a transaction? Like after you create a record then
> you shut it down after commit.
Depends on the application. If the database holds some kind of
infrequently referenced metadata, so that say, it is only queried or
updated once a day, then you could consider an "on demand" model where
the database is booted for each query/update, then the query results are
returned, then the database is shut down so that it doesn't consume any
resources. The big extra cost of an "on demand" database would be this:
query/update time would be substantially longer since every query/update
involves booting the database, compiling the query/update, and
gracefully closing the database; that cost is on top of the steady-state
cost of running a pre-compiled query/update.

Hope this helps,
-Rick