db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dyre.Tjeldv...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: When to shut down a database
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2014 11:23:45 GMT
There are a number of issues that for the most part are distinct

1) Commit a transaction when you're sure you don't have to abort (or
when you need to release resources).

2) Close the connection when you no longer need it/it is about to go out
of scope.

3) Shutdown a database to
    a) speed up the next boot (as the db does not have to recover from
its log)
    b) to release the database (files) for another jvm

4) Shutdown the Derby engine to release resources to the rest of your
application when you don't need access to any databases.

--
Regards,

Dyre