db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Frank Rivera <frank.riv...@HoudiniESQ.com>
Subject Re: --DERBY-PROPERTIES throws error
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:24:03 GMT
Will do.

We implicitly use the schema “esq” (not the the name matters) in all column names and
in the from clause e.g. “FROM esq.attachment”. Can you try it this way just to be sure
I’m not crazy. We also use the schema when creating the index on the table. BTW 10.10.1.1
is what we are using. I see I typed it wrong in last email.

Sincerely,

 	Frank Rivera
	LogicBit Software - Research Triangle Park, North Carolina

Product Brochures 	http://houdiniesq.com/HoudiniEsq_2014BrochureProduct.pdf
Product Testimonials	http://houdiniesq.com/HoudiniEsq_2014BrochureShow.pdf

  Support  919.238.7024	Corporate  408.213.8138	Sales  888.366.2280

  HoudiniEsq ®	Legal Practice Management Suite		http://HoudiniEsq.com

  Feature Rich web-based Legal Practice Management for today's cutting edge Law Firms
  Any Browser, Any OS, Anytime, Anywhere, Any size organization, SaaS or On-premise

Simple & Simplicity are not the same thing. "Simple", as it turns out, simply isn't good
enough.
NOTICE: The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of
this message which arise as
a result of e-mail transmission.  This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential
and are intended solely for
the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. It is not an offer or acceptance,
and it is not intended to
be all or part of an agreement.  This communication may contain material protected by the
attorney-client privilege.
Original material created by the author may be protected by US Copyright law, 17 U.S.C. §
101 et seq. This communication
constitutes an electronic communication within the meaning of the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C.
§ 2510, and its disclosure is strictly limited to the recipient intended by the sender of
this message.   If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the e-mail to the intended recipient,
be advised that you have
received this e-mail in error and that any review, use, dissemination, forwarding, printing,
or copying of this e-mail is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail and delete this email.

On Apr 17, 2014, at 10:14 AM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Frank,
>
> I am unable to reproduce the problem you are seeing when I run the following script using
Derby 10.10.1.1:

> connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:db;create=true';
>
> create table attachment( guid int, file_name varchar( 10 ) );
> create index ATTACHMENT_LINKNAMES_INDEX on attachment( guid, file_name );
>
> SELECT
> attachment.guid,  attachment.file_name
> FROM
> attachment
> --DERBY-PROPERTIES index = ATTACHMENT_LINKNAMES_INDEX
> ;
>

> The error message you're seeing is raised by the parser. I have extracted the relevant
method from the 10.10.2.0 parser into the attached zzz.java program. I am unable to reproduce
the problem you're seeing when I run that program on your text. Try setting the PROPS field
in that program equal to what follows "--DERBY-PROPERTIES" in your query and see if you can
tickle the program into failing.

> Hope this helps,
> -Rick
>
> On 4/11/14 9:33 AM, Frank Rivera wrote:
>>
>> We have a simple query using LIKE but is very slow.
>> We need to tell the optimizer which index to use but the override DERBY-PROPERTIES
statement returns the following error.

>> *Invalid syntax for optimizer overrides. *The syntax should be -- DERBY-PROPERTIES
propertyName = value [, propertyName = value]*

>> Here is the SQL. The index does exist.
>>
>> *SELECT *
>> esq.attachment.guid, esq.attachment.file_name
>> *FROM *
>> esq.attachment
>> *--DERBY-PROPERTIES *index = ATTACHMENT_LINKNAMES_INDEX
>> *where
>> *(
>> esq.attachment.file_name  LIKE ‘%drisco%'
>>   OR esq.attachment.file_index_name  LIKE ‘%drisco%'
>> )
>> AND
>> (
>>        esq.attachment.link_guid IS NOT NULL
>>        AND
>>        esq.attachment.link_table='mat'
>>        AND
>>        esq.attachment.link_guid IN (
>>                SELECT esq.matter.guid
>>                FROM esq.matter
>>                WHERE
>>                esq.matter.guid=esq.attachment.link_guid
>>                AND (
>> ( esq.matter.grp_guid=0 OR esq.matter.grp_guid IS NULL ) OR ( esq.matter.grp_guid>0
AND esq.matter.grp_guid IN ( 2,1,6,4,3 ) )