db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Patrick Meyer" <meyer...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: CREATE TABLE lexical error
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2014 17:55:45 GMT
The users create the files, so I don't have control over that part. However, in this particular
case the file was created in SPSS and edited in Excel. I'll look into using a hex editor to
explore the file.

I modified the statement so that column names are in double quotes and that solves the problem
when reading the names from a delimited text file.

Thanks again!

-----Original Message-----
From: John English [mailto:john.foreign@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 11:47 AM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE lexical error

On 19/04/2014 18:18, Patrick Meyer wrote:
> Thanks John. Yes, I was cutting and pasting from Notepad, but I was
> doing that for all four lines. I don't understand why it worked for some lines but not
> Nevertheless,  the cutting and pasting is not my real problem. I
> created these four statements to reproduce a problem I encountered
> with my program. I get the same lexical error when my program obtains
> the column names from a delimited text file. This error only occurs
> with some (actually, very few) files and I cannot figure out why. Any ideas why?

What are you using to create these files? Presumably whatever created the files for you decided
you would like some extra line breaks that you didn't ask for (like all the too-clever-by-half
autocorrections that MS Office wants to do if you give it a chance). You could always try
using something like "od -cx" or a hex editor to see what the file really contains.

Good luck,
John English

View raw message