db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Amitava Kundu1 <amitavaku...@in.ibm.com>
Subject Issue with large delete in derby
Date Thu, 30 Jan 2014 06:46:00 GMT

Hi,
We are using embedded derby 10.5.1.1 in our product, This derby database is
used as regular RDBMS where lot of insert, delete and select happens, There
are business entities each of its occurrence could be of size 10 GB and
upward e.g. a huge log file data.
In our application, we use cascade delete and also has referential
integrity constraints ON.

This application runs on 64 bit Linux with 8 GB RAM allocated to JVM.
Similar time is observed in our development Windows box.

 It takes more than 3 hour to delete those entities. During this time all
the relevant tables stay locked and no other operation is feasible.

We'd like know what could be different options/ strategy be adopted for:
   Speeding up the delete process
   Ability to other database activities in parallel

Thanks
	Amitava Kundu