db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Paul Linehan <lineh...@tcd.ie>
Subject Re: Migrating from MySQL to Apache - having difficulty with Timestamp.
Date Thu, 23 Jan 2014 21:13:36 GMT
Hi Rick,

> Maybe the meaning of that MySQL timestamp is supposed to be equivalent to
> null?

Thanks again for your help. My project is a proof of concept -
basically, I have a system
(genomes/genomics related) that uses MySQL. This system is Java/Javascript based
and I'm seeing if the datastore/database side could be swapped out for Derby.

The advantages of this is that there would be no need for a MySQL install, no
admin  (the reaction of most biologists to Unix "Eeek, what's that?"...)

I've taken enough short cuts for the time being (changed both enum and set
types into VARCHAR...) that I think that changing those dates to null might do
the trick. Obviously, there could be dependencies on these dates that I don't
know about, but having looked at all my (sample) data, no timestamp is
anything other than '0000-00-00 00:00:00' so null is probably a good idea.

I'll go with that and if the worst comes to the worst, I'll look at
the code <gulp...>

Rgs,

Paul...

--