db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Myrna van Lunteren <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Network Server Access Permissions and Java 1.7.0_51
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:31:46 GMT
Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 17, 2014, at 7:23 AM, "John I. Moore, Jr." <softmoore@att.net> wrote:

Java version 1.7.0_51 (latest version) causes the following error when
trying to start the network server.  I can see from the issue tracker that
there is a fix to be added that should correct this problem in the next
release, but is there an easy workaround that exists now?  Details would be
appreciated.

John I. Moore, Jr.

Hi John,

Yesterday we also attached releaseNote.html to DERBY_6438 which also
describes this workaround: you need to use your own policyfile and start
networkserver with
 java -Djava.security.manager -Djava.security.policy=yourpolicyfilename
org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServer start

For your convenience, I attach a copy of the updated default 10.10
policyfile to DERBY-6438 ('1010_server.policy'). You can use that as a
starting point.

As an alternative, I guess you *could* mess with the JVMs 'java.policy'
file, but I imagine that's not supported by the JVM vendors, or they'd have
added it to the workarounds. Plus it will get overwritten by the next JVM
update.

I think another alternative is to start networkserver at one of the
'ephemeral' port numbers (i.e. start with java
org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServer -p 50000 start), I tried at port 50000
and that seemed to work. But then you might need to modify your app to use
that port number.

Regards,
Myrna