db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Creating tables - migrating from MySQL.
Date Tue, 21 Jan 2014 18:33:48 GMT
On 1/21/14 7:07 AM, Paul Linehan wrote:
> Hi Bryan,
>

>>> I'm trying to migrate a system (72 tables) from MySQL to Apache.
>> Have you considered using ddlutils: http://db.apache.org/ddlutils/
>
> Yeah, looks interesting for when I come to settle down and write this
> sort of thing,
> but what I'm trying to do for the moment is just get it up and running on
> an ad-hoc basis.
>
> I do know that this isn't ideal - but for the moment (I have to demo something
> on Thursday morning!) it'll suffice. Also found http://flywaydb.org/
> and http://migrate4j.sourceforge.net/
> and will be looking at these too.
>

> Thanks for your interest.
>

> Paul...
>

>> bryan
Hi Paul,

You might want to take a look at the optional foreignViews tool, which
can be useful for data migration projects like yours:
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.10/tools/rtoolsoptforeignviews.html.
You can create and populate a Derby table from an external table by
following the instructions for loading the foreignViews tool and then
issuing statements like the following:

-- create the local Derby table
create table S1.T1 as select * from XYZ_S1.T1 with no data;
insert into S1.T1 select * from XYZ_S1.T1;

You'll still need to add constraints, indexes, triggers, functions,
procedures, etc.. But at least you will have a snapshot of the data and
much of the application should run. If you have suggestions about what
should go into a data migration script produced by the foreignViews
tool, your input is welcome on this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6219.

Thanks,
-Rick