db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Derby Network Server instances on a same computer
Date Fri, 17 Jan 2014 18:13:19 GMT
Hi AirDT,

On 1/17/14 7:41 AM, AirDT wrote:
> Hi
> 1 - Is it possible to run multiple Derby Network Server instances on a same
> computer? (each one with a different port and a different system derby
> directory) ?
Yes, you can run multiple servers on the same machine. The system
directory is a JVM-wide property. If you need a separate system
directory for each server, then you can start each server in its own JVM.
> 2 - Can I do it in a single thread or should I use separate threads ?
I've never done this. Off the top of my head, I'd recommend a separate
thread per server. Maybe someone with real-world experience can comment.
> 3 - Is there a maximum number of databases on witch  users can connect with
> a given Derby Network Server ?
There is no Derby-imposed limit.
> 4 - When there are no more connected users to a database is it possible to
> automatically shutdown the database ?
This would be an interesting enhancement request, but I am not aware of
any way to tell Derby to do this.

Hope this helps,