db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "John I. Moore, Jr." <softmo...@att.net>
Subject RE: Configuring a Server Policy for Derby on Windows
Date Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:43:56 GMT
One final point of clarification to my original email:

While the file specifications appear to work with zero, one, or three slashes,

based on the Wikipedia link supplied by Dag below and this MSDN link,

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2006/12/06/file-uris-in-windows.aspx,

it appears that three slashes is the "proper" form for files on the localhost,

which, I suspect, is the most common case.

John I. Moore, Jr.

SoftMoore Consulting

From: dag wanvik [mailto:dag.wanvik@oracle.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2014 10:48 AM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org; CAMILLA.HAASE
Subject: Re: Configuring a Server Policy for Derby on Windows

The slashes in a file URL is explained in this Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_URI_scheme#Meaning_of_slash_character

file:// <file:///\\> host/path

Things to notice:

* "If host is omitted, it is taken to be "localhost", the machine from which the URL is
being interpreted. Note that when omitting host you do not omit the slash (
<file:///\\foo.txt> "file:///foo.txt" is okay, while  <file:///\\foo.txt> "file://foo.txt"
is not, although some interpreters manage to handle the latter)."

* "The double slash // should always appear in a file URL according to the specification,
but in practice many Web browsers <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser>  allow
you to
omit it)"

* "the URI as understood by the Windows Shell API is e.g.  <file:///c:\WINDOWS\clock.avi>
"file:///c:/WINDOWS/clock.avi"

So, three slashes is OK: it means the host is omitted (default).
Zero and one slash would indicate that the "//host" part is omitted, cf the lenience
allowed mentioned above.

Just a double slash followed by the file path (e.g. //C:/....), would be wrong, since "C:"
is not a host name.

So, our docs are wrong here.

Thanks,
Dag