db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Bergquist, Brett" <BBergqu...@canoga.com>
Subject RE: Derby running on local computer ans Data Base located on server
Date Tue, 31 Dec 2013 15:42:33 GMT
If you mean that the database "files" are located on a server and are going to be access using
a networked file system protocol such as NFS or SMB, etc, then this is really just networked
file I/O and it will work with the caveat that you might have corruption if the file system
I/O calls return before the file changes have actually been committed to stable storage on
the  server.   This is also the same thing that can occur with file I/O that is cached by
the OS on a local file system as will.   You really need the networked file I/O to not return
until the changes have been committed or live with the possibility of database corruption.

Brett

From: SolGT [mailto:contact@solgt.fr]
Sent: Tuesday, December 31, 2013 6:02 AM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Derby running on local computer ans Data Base located on server

Hi

In derbydev.pdf ( 10.10.1.1) page 26, I read  :
Conventions for specifying the database path
You can specify only databases that are local to the machine on which the JVM
is running. ...
I want to use Derby (embedded mode) in my application on a networked computer and place the
databases on the server.
Is it possible ?

Thanks

AirDT