db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Serious issue with 10.10.1.1 and tomcat-jdbc
Date Tue, 01 Oct 2013 16:56:15 GMT
On 10/1/13 9:02 AM, Frank Rivera wrote:
> ALTER TABLE esq.licreq ADD COLUMN u_domain GENERATED ALWAYS AS
> (UPPER(domain))
Hi Frank,

I have been able to reproduce this problem when the connected user (ROOT
in this case) has not created any schema objects of his own. I have
logged https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6361 to track this
problem.

Derby only implicitly creates a schema for the default APP user. Derby
is supposed to implicitly create a schema for the connected user when
the user performs certain operations. But this ALTER TABLE statement
isn't one of those operations. The workaround would be to make sure that
a schema has been created for the connected user. This can be done
explicitly like this...

CREATE SCHEMA root;

Here's a script which shows the problem:

connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:db;create=true;user=esq';

create table licreq( domain varchar( 10 ) );

connect 'jdbc:derby:memory:db;user=root';

-- fails
ALTER TABLE esq.licreq ADD COLUMN u_domain GENERATED ALWAYS AS
(UPPER(domain));

create schema root;

-- succeeds
ALTER TABLE esq.licreq ADD COLUMN u_domain GENERATED ALWAYS AS
(UPPER(domain));

Hope this helps,
-Rick