db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Yoel Spotts <YSpo...@nexidia.com>
Subject RE: Network Server startup and shutdown
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 14:05:10 GMT
Rick,

Thanks for the quick response and help. If that is the case (i.e. there is a race condition
possibility), why would you recommend shutting down the engine first?

Yoel

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hillegas@oracle.com]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 10:02 AM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Network Server startup and shutdown

On 9/9/13 6:56 AM, Yoel Spotts wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Interesting. Thanks for the info.
>
> Can you help me understand this a little better: if I shutdown the engine (by calling
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true")), won't the network service be "orphaned"
(i.e. a network service without an underlying engine -- even if for a only a short period
of time)?
Yes, that's true. If you are worried about that race condition, you can bring the server down
first and then the engine.

Hope that's more useful for you,
-Rick
> Thanks
>
> Yoel

I think what you mean is the network server and the embedded engine. There is no such thing
as an embedded server. The network server boots the derby engine as needed. You don't need
to boot the engine.