db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Yoel Spotts <YSpo...@nexidia.com>
Subject RE: Network Server startup and shutdown
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 13:56:51 GMT
Rick,

Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Can you help me understand this a little better: if I shutdown the engine (by calling DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true")),
won't the network service be "orphaned" (i.e. a network service without an underlying engine
-- even if for a only a short period of time)?

Thanks

Yoel

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hillegas [mailto:rick.hillegas@oracle.com]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2013 9:43 AM
To: derby-user@db.apache.org
Subject: Re: Network Server startup and shutdown

On 9/4/13 10:27 AM, Yoel Spotts wrote:

> I am starting a network server in addition to an embedded server. I'd
> like to do this programmatically, by calling
>
> NetworkServerControl server = new NetworkServerControl();
>
> server.start (null);
>
> as described here:
> http://docs.oracle.com/javadb/10.5.1.1/adminguide/tadminconfig814963.h
> tml
>
> My question is: should I start the network server first or the
> embedded server?

Hi Yoel,

This can be a little puzzling for people who are familiar with non-embedded databases. I think
what you mean is the network server and the embedded engine. There is no such thing as an
embedded server. The network server boots the derby engine as needed. You don't need to boot
the engine.

> And when shutting down, which one should I shutdown first?

I would recommend bringing down the engine first and then the server.

Hope this helps,
-Rick