db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <knut.hat...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: beginner's question
Date Mon, 23 Sep 2013 22:05:44 GMT
Bob M <rgmatthews@orcon.net.nz> writes:

> Hi
> I am working through Derby tutorial and am up to step 2 using 'ij'
> I tried the command connect 'jdbc:derby:DBName;create=true';
> and got the following error result..........................
> Thread[main,5,main] java.io.File Not FoundException:derby.log <Access is
> denied>
> ERROR XJ028: The URL 'jdbc:derby:DBName;create=true; connect ' is not
> properly formed
> What does this mean?

Hi Bob,

It looks as if you may have forgotten the terminating single quote
character after the connection URL. And then, when nothing happened and
you tried to enter the CONNECT command again, the opening single quote
in the new command was be interpreted by ij as the missing terminating
quote in the first command.

This ij session produces the same error message as you are seeing
(notice the missing quote in the first CONNECT command):

ij version 10.10
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:DBName;create=true;
connect 'jdbc:derby:DBName;create=true';
ERROR XJ028: The URL 'jdbc:derby:DBName;create=true;
connect ' is not properly formed.
ij> IJ ERROR: Unable to establish connection

Could this be what happened to you?

And, for completeness, here's an ij session using the correct syntax:

ij version 10.10
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:DBName;create=true';
ij> select count(*) from sys.systables;

1 row selected

Hope this helps,

-Knut Anders