db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Derby Network Server booting issue
Date Fri, 13 Sep 2013 17:57:19 GMT
Hi Sekhar,

The Derby components can be puzzling to people familiar with other
databases. There is no such thing as a Derby Embedded Server. There is a
Derby engine and a Derby network server.

1) The engine manages the databases. The Derby engine can be embedded in
any Java application.

2) The network server manages network connections. The network server is
a Java application which embeds the Derby engine.

When you shut down the network server, you prevent remote clients from
opening connections to the databases managed by its embedded Derby
engine. However, the engine does not come down automatically. If you
don't also shut down the engine, then it will come down ungracefully
during the exit of the VM which was running the network server. You
should always shut down the engine gracefully before the VM exits.

Hope this helps,
-Rick