db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Network Server startup and shutdown
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 14:01:55 GMT
On 9/9/13 6:56 AM, Yoel Spotts wrote:
> Rick,
>
> Interesting. Thanks for the info.
>
> Can you help me understand this a little better: if I shutdown the engine (by calling
DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:derby:;shutdown=true")), won't the network service be "orphaned"
(i.e. a network service without an underlying engine -- even if for a only a short period
of time)?
Yes, that's true. If you are worried about that race condition, you can
bring the server down first and then the engine.

Hope that's more useful for you,
-Rick
> Thanks
>
> Yoel

I think what you mean is the network server and the embedded engine. There is no such thing
as an embedded server. The network server boots the derby engine as needed. You don't need
to boot the engine.