db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Network Server startup and shutdown
Date Mon, 09 Sep 2013 13:42:50 GMT
On 9/4/13 10:27 AM, Yoel Spotts wrote:

> I am starting a network server in addition to an embedded server. I’d
> like to do this programmatically, by calling
>
> NetworkServerControl server = new NetworkServerControl();
>
> server.start (null);
>
> as described here:
> http://docs.oracle.com/javadb/10.5.1.1/adminguide/tadminconfig814963.html
>
> My question is: should I start the network server first or the
> embedded server?

Hi Yoel,

This can be a little puzzling for people who are familiar with
non-embedded databases. I think what you mean is the network server and
the embedded engine. There is no such thing as an embedded server. The
network server boots the derby engine as needed. You don't need to boot
the engine.

> And when shutting down, which one should I shutdown first?

I would recommend bringing down the engine first and then the server.

Hope this helps,
-Rick