db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Ayesha Dissanayaka <ayshsa...@gmail.com>
Subject Performance Improvement on Aggregate Functions using histogram stats
Date Thu, 22 Aug 2013 08:31:43 GMT
Hi,

I am a newbie to derby and I would like to try out improve performances of
aggregate functions (SELECT, COUNT, SUM etc).

Initially I have look into research papers [01][02], but found out that
these algorithms can not be implemented in derby since it doesn't provide
support for "spatial data".

Then I thought of using histogram stats and trying out for improving usage
and structure of histogram stats to increase performances of aggregate
query calls.

I have accessed Derby and get it compiled in Eclipse. I have no idea where
to begin, which package/classes/code to be accessed, and implemented.

It would be a great help, if someone can help me with getting started. Also
please do suggest if there are any alternate routes to achieve the goal.

[01]http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=375718
[02]
http://dbs.mathematik.uni-marburg.de/publications/myPapers/2002/ZGTS02EDBT.pdf

--