db-derby-user mailing list archives

From John English <john.fore...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: More trigger problems
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2013 11:15:42 GMT
On 25/08/2013 12:40, tim.wickett wrote:
> Hi again, I am having more trigger problems. This time I am trying to create
> a history when values are updated. This is my code
>
> CREATE TRIGGER update_location
>      AFTER UPDATE ON WASTE_ITEM
>      REFERENCING OLD AS old_waste_item
>      FOR EACH ROW
>      WHERE (old_waste_item.current_location
>             <> current_location)
>      INSERT INTO WASTE_ITEM_LOCATION_HISTORY
>      VALUES (old_waste_item.waste_item_id, CURRENT DATE,
>              old_waste_item.current_site_id, old_waste_item.current_location)
>
> I get the following syntax error
>
> Error code -1, SQL state 42X01: Syntax error: Encountered "WHERE" at line 4,
> column 18.

Yes, check the syntax for CREATE TRIGGER -- there is no provision for a WHERE
clause before the triggered-SQL-statement.

That said, it's not clear what you're trying to do; in the condition
"old_waste_item.current_location <> current_location", which current_location
does the RHS of the condition refer to?
--
John English