db-derby-user mailing list archives

From "Dr. Nicholas Shaw" <...@DocHarley.com>
Subject RE: Problem with Class.forName
Date Mon, 26 Aug 2013 00:31:43 GMT
Thanks, Bryan,

I've cut the program down to bare bones.  Can you run -verbose:class while
in NetBeans?  I downloaded the Process Manager but haven't had time to work
with it.  I agree that the problem is subtle.  I'll work on it some more
tomorrow.  Again, as always, thanks for your help!
Best Regards,

Nick.
-----Original Message-----
From: Bryan Pendleton [mailto:bpendleton.derby@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:32 PM
To: Derby Discussion
Subject: Re: Problem with Class.forName

> I don't know where to go at this point

I'm sure you can fix this, but it is certainly subtle.

Did you try running '-verbose:class'?

Have you done your very utmost to cut your program down to the minimal
version that reproduces the problem? Is it now as tiny as:

   public class Test {
	static public void main( String[] args )
		throws Exception
	{
		Class.forName( "org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver" );
	}
   }

and with that program, and your %CLASSPATH%, can you run

	java Test

Since you are on Windows, and it's easy to reproduce, try this:

1) Go to Microsoft's web site and download Process Monitor:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

2) Start process monitor, start capturing events, and run
    your program.

3) In the Process Monitor display, look very closely through
    the traces for 'java.exe' running your program. You should
    be able to see the java interpreter looking through your
    classpath, looking at each of the jar files, and you should
    be able to see if it's encountering a filesystem security
    problem, or a file-not-found problem, or something else that's
    weird like that.

Keep on trying, you'll figure it out!

bryan