db-derby-user mailing list archives

From nshaw <...@docharley.com>
Subject RE: Problem with Class.forName
Date Sun, 25 Aug 2013 15:23:53 GMT
I ran the commands and here is the output:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Doc>java org.apache.derby.tools.ij

ij version 10.8

ij> connect 'jdbc:derby://localhost/c:/Users/Doc/Documents/Java
DB/Learning/Users';

ij>

Since I haven't used ij, I'm assuming because I didn't get an error that it
is connecting to the database.

As I mentioned in my original e-mail, I've tried a lot of different examples
posted on the Internet. I wonder if one of them had me change something that
is affecting the CLASSPATH.  I checked 'Tools/Java Platforms' and other
places without success.  I did have two versions of the JDK so I uninstalled
v.7.0.11. I also had two versions of Netbeans.  I uninstalled the 2011
version and tried - didn't solve the problem. I then uninstalled NetBeans
7.3.1 and reinstalled it. It did change the default Java platform under
'Tools' but other than that, same issue.  No matter what I try, I keep
throwing exceptions at Class.forName().

I can create Derby DB's through NetBeans, I can create tables and I can run
SQL commands without issue. But I can't do the same through a program.
Frustrating.  I thought that maybe Oracle had changed the Class.forName() to
something else like "org.oracle.javadb." or something like that - nope.  I
even tried the embedded driver - same thing.

Bryan, I really appreciate the help you've provided.  I don't know where to
go at this point except start exploring using Oracle 11g; however, I'm not
sure I won't have the same problem.  I could try using Eclipse and see what
happens.

Best Regards,

Nick.