Hello,

From my experiments, checking connection does not work
as server is closing socket _before_ shutting down databases.
And it appears that shutting down a DB can require quite a long time
(I observed once 35 seconds, with a ~30MB DB).
So I had to wait for db files locks disappearance in a polling loop.
See old thread (not meaningful) :
http://osdir.com/ml/derby-user-db-apache/2012-07/msg00066.html

This kind of problematic should be managed by derby server itself
rather than by client (relying on a Derby internal feature).

M.