db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Trejkaz <trej...@trypticon.org>
Subject Re: Is there some way to shut down a Derby database faster?
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 03:51:30 GMT
On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM, Rick Hillegas <rick.hillegas@oracle.com> wrote:
> If you simply exit the VM without requesting an orderly shutdown, then the
> checkpoint won't be performed. However, the cleanup performed by that
> checkpoint still has to be performed. It will be performed the next time you
> boot the database. My experience is that if you always skip the orderly
> shutdown, then the time required to boot the database grows progressively
> longer until it is intolerable. Full disclosure: I haven't tried this
> experiment for a long time and there may have been improvements in this
> area. Nevertheless, orderly shutdown is the recommended practice.

Exiting the VM isn't really an option for me anyway, this is just when
someone is closing the database, potentially planning to open another
one.

Another question along the same lines then - if I kick off the
shutdown in another thread, what happens if the same database is then
reopened while the shutdown is still occurring?

TX