db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Guillaume CHAUVET <guillaume.chau...@qualiformed.com>
Subject JDBC Driver : connection listener
Date Mon, 15 Jul 2013 16:01:47 GMT
Hi Derby Users,

We need to detect a connection lost between Derby (in server mode) and our swing client.
Our goal is to provide a more user friendly message (with ping button, a troubleshooting procedure
and more).

Right now, we use the below pattern to detect some connection lost, but some of them were
not catched because we use an ORM framework who catches them :
=============
Thread.setDefaultUncaughtExceptionHandler(new Thread.UncaughtExceptionHandler() {
            @Override
            public void uncaughtException(Thread thread, Throwable thrwbl) {
                for (Throwable cause = thrwbl.getCause(); cause != null; cause = cause.getCause())
{
                    if (cause instanceof DisconnectException) {
                        fireDisconnected();
                        break;
                    }
                }
            }
        });
========

IMO, an interesting feature will be a listener pattern provided by the JDBC driver. In this
way, if a DisconnectedException will be throws, we will can notify a connection lost to another
observers.

Regards,
Guillaume