db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <rick.hille...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: Reg: Restoring the Derby Database.
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 12:52:35 GMT
On 7/8/13 11:40 PM, Sekhar Kosuru wrote:
> Hi,
> I need to Restore the Derby Database when database is running.
> But in my observation I found we can only restore in the first
> connection (JDBC) after the database(Derby Network Server) boot up. If
> any another connection already connected normally then we if we pass
> the *restoreFrom *attribute in connection string also it is not restoring.
> Is this way only we can do the restore ?
> Please help me in the same.
> Regards
> Sekhar.
Hi Sekhar,

In many databases (including Derby), database restoration is considered
to be a tool for disaster recovery. It is run only after a catastrophe,
when the database is unusable and no-one should be connected to it. Can
you explain the use-case you are trying to support by restoring on top
of an already functioning, usable database? Maybe there is a simpler
workaround for the problem you are trying to solve.

Thanks,
-Rick