db-derby-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton.de...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there some way to shut down a Derby database faster?
Date Thu, 04 Jul 2013 14:44:18 GMT
> Exiting the VM isn't really an option for me anyway, this is just when
> someone is closing the database, potentially planning to open another
> one.
>
> Another question along the same lines then - if I kick off the
> shutdown in another thread, what happens if the same database is then
> reopened while the shutdown is still occurring?

It sounds like users are routinely arriving, doing work,
and disconnecting, causing the database to be opened and closed.

Have you considered using a connection pool in between your
application layer and the database, so that the connections
are retained and re-used, rather than being fully reclaimed
and fully reopened?

thanks,

bryan